Wear a festive hat to win glorious poetry prizes!
As ever the broken and the beautiful and all their friends are invited.
- Liv Torc will host with a suitable mix of Christmas cheer and cynicism
- We have a headline spot from the joyous genius and poetry superstar 'Matt Harvey' beaming in from Devon to share a rye eyebrow and a ridiculous rhyme.
- The Word/Play group will perform
- There will be an open mic with spots available for anyone with an original poem to share. (Book with Liv early to get on the bill.)
- We will be making an audience poem live on the night
- This month we are inviting you to adorn yourself with festive or anti Xmas Christmas headgear. The best wins a fabulous 'Hot Poets' and 'Screaming at Butterflies' poetry book.
The show comes out of Take Art's 'performance poetry on prescription' Word/Play project, which helps adults with mental health or learning challenges find new ways to talk about their lives.
About Matt Harvey
Writer, poet, enemy of all that’s difficult and upsetting, Matt’s way with words has taken him from Totnes to the Wimbledon Tennis Championships via Saturday Live, the Edinburgh Festival and the Work section of the Guardian. He is host of Radio 4’s Wondermentalist Cabaretand creator of Empath Man. Books include The Hole in the Sum of my Parts, Where Earwigs Dare and Mindless Body Spineless Mind and, for children, Shopping With Dad and Beastie and the Boys. With Stephen Deazley he wrote song cycles A Little Book of Monsters and The Songbook of Unsingable Songs and with Thomas Hewitt Jones the musicalRumpelstiltskin.
His latest collection Sit! – with artist Claudia Schmid – came out with Unicorn in 2020, a German version Sitz! was published this month. Their new collaboration, Careless Whisker, will be out before Christmas. Matt was nominated for a P.E.A. Award for The Element in the Room – energy-inspired poems written while Poet-in-Residence with RegenSW and was recently commissioned by ITM Power to write about Green Hydrogen.
“Very funny…” Independent “…not only funny but tender and true” Guardian “fabulously understated” Dorset Echo
Please email email@example.com to book a slot at the open mic, or to request the link sent on the day.