Take Art's offers support, resources and opportunities to Somerset-based theatre and spoken word artists, practitioners, companies, venues and programmers.
- opportunities for professional development through workshops, masterclasses and skillshares;
- opportunities for showcasing, sharing work and rigorous debate about contemporary practice;
- offering support for the making, producing, programming and promoting of work;
- advice, signposting, networking and brokering partnerships;
- originating ideas and developing new ways of working;
- extending regional, national and international links to bring high-quality work into Somerset.
Most of this work is delivered through the projects highlighted below, BARN in particular.
We enjoy good relationships with Somerset’s Arts venues and are partners in several regional, and national, initiatives including Theatre South West and Venues South West.
Latest News about Theatre
- NewsBARN Growth Fund Awards
Meet the successful applicants for our BARN Growth Fund project.More info
- NewsCircus Around & About
Taking extraordinary, family friendly circus to village communities across the South West this summer.More info
- NewsSomerset charities secure funding to help local communities thriveMore info
BARN is a collective theatre initiative, facilitated by Take Art, that supports Somerset’s emergent theatre-making sector to develop, test and showcase new work in a predominantly rural context.
It was inspired by the North American rural tradition of barn-raising: in our case, the collective action of a theatre-making sector to build and sustain Somerset’s theatre infrastructure.
Word/Play is a social prescribing project for people experiencing mental ill health. It uses performance poetry to empower individuals, giving them the freedom and encouragement to tell their stories.
Through working together, the main aim is to develop material for two innovative 'handbooks'. Led by the Hungarian partner, one will be a life quality measurement toolkit for practitioners who want to implement technology based feedback in their community work with groups and individuals. The second, led by the Italian partner, will be a practical guide for developing participatory theatre in rural areas.
BARN is a collective theatre initiative, facilitated by Take Art, that supports Somerset’s emerging theatre-making sector to develop, test and showcase new work in a predominantly rural contextMore info
Word/Play is a social prescribing project for people experiencing mental ill health. It uses performance poetry to empower individuals, giving them the freedom and encouragement to tell their stories.More info
RIOTE3 working with outdoor theatre companies from across Europe to exchange knowledge and skills. Funded by Erasmus+ our partners are drawn from Hungary, Romania, Slovenia, Italy, France and Germany.More info
Meet the Theatre Team
Mark Helyar is Co-Director of Theatre (Drama)
Tel: 01460 249450
Sarah Peterkin is Co-Directors of Theatre (Drama)
Tel: 01460 249450