Cultivate is delighted to be collaborating with The Somerset Food Trail for 2022, bringing an arts dimension to the programme. The Trail celebrates the best, locally produced food, with a special emphasis on Somerset’s more regenerative and ‘nature-friendly’ farmers and food producers.
Participants will include a wide variety of people and organisations involved in local food – everything from vegetable growers, goat herders, cider makers and dairy farmers to cheesemakers, vineyards, artisan bakers, restaurants, pubs and independent retailers – as well as artists and performers.
Food and farming have always been an important part of life in Somerset, yet today farmers face unprecedented challenges: our environment is under enormous pressure and many people cannot afford the good food they need. We hope that the Food Trail will give visitors a better understanding of how our food is produced and the many benefits of ‘buying local’ – to encourage greater support for local food producers.
Cultivate is collaborating with the Trail organisers to provide clusters in the Cultivate area of South Petherton, Ilminster, Crewkerne and Chard, as well as Yeovil. All in the South Somerset area – new for the food trail. The Cultivate project will be bringing an artistic flavour to the scheduled events and activity aimed at families, the local community and anyone wanting to learn more about their local food producers, where our food comes from and local food stories.
Why engage in the food trial?
- Visit new producers, venues and food outlets that you haven’t been to
- Experience live, creative arts opportunities and experiences
- Raise the profile of local food through taking part in an arts event
- Understand the benefits of buying local
- Learn about sustainability and how local food produce reduces carbon footprint and boosts biodiversity
- Make more informed choices about your food
- Help make the arts accessible for all
If you have any questions about the Somerset Food Trail or want to find out more please contact Cultivate’s Hub Facilitator, Katy Tilley, on Katy@takeart.org