Take Art and Devon & Torbay Music Education Hubs are seeking an emerging Early Childhood Music Practitioner with an interest in working collaboratively. They will be supported and mentored by an experienced Early Childhood Music Practitioner in Devon and Torbay. This is an opportunity for a musician, an artist or educator to develop their music practice with very young children - through training, observations and support whilst spending 10 half days alongside your mentor in an EYFS setting. You should have a sufficient level of musical skill and musical competences in working playfully with very young children.
During the project we will expect the emerging Early Childhood Music Practitioner to:
- Attend the EYFS setting in Ellacombe C of E Primary Academy, Torquay, TQ1 1TG with your mentor for 10 Friday mornings between 6 Oct 23 – 17 May 24 (see dates below)
- Attend professional development and networking opportunities including a six-week evening online introduction to Early Childhood Music Course (7.30pm to 9pm on six evenings, once a week: dates TBC) during the Autumn 23 term.
- Attend planning and reflection meetings
- Hold a current DBS (can be arranged by Devon & Torbay MEHs on the understanding that this is then registered on the update service) and public liability insurance
We would also encourage applications from practitioners keen to study the Certificate for Music Educators: Early Childhood. This is a part-time distance learning one year course aimed at those keen to improve their skills and knowledge in early childhood music education and gain a nationally recognised accredited qualification.
The course runs in an academic year and students are required to attend four seminar days (Monday 30th October & Tuesday 31st October 2023, Monday 12th February 2024 and Monday 15th April 2024) in central Birmingham at the Centre for Research in Early Childhood (CREC). Find out more here.
- Midday Friday 9 June 2023 - applications close
- Tuesday 20 June 2023 - interview for up to an hour at Devon & Torbay Music Education Hubs, Devon Education Services, Unit 16-17 Blackdown Park, South View Industrial Estate, Willand, Cullompton, Devon, EX15 2QW
- TBC - September twilight CPD - attend professional development and network opportunity at Ellacombe C of E Academy
- TBC - online meeting with mentor (Charlotte Gibbs), project manager (Jane Parker) and key EYFS staff to discuss involvement in project with Ellacombe C of E Primary Academy.
- Attend 10 half day sessions on Friday mornings with mentor in EYFS setting at Ellacombe C of E Primary Academy, Torquay: 6 Oct 23, 13 Oct 23, 3 Nov 23, 24 Nov 23, 12 Jan 24, 2 Feb 24, 23 Feb 24, 15 March 24, 24 April 24 and 17 May 24
- TBC July 2024 - share your learning (could be written, filmed or an audio recording)
£1,000 plus there is a modest budget for travel expenses
Free place on the online six-week Introduction to Early Childhood Music Course on six evenings in Autumn term 2023
£300 Take Art bursary towards the cost of Certificate for Music Educators: Early Childhood (CME:EC) Sept 23 to July 24 course
£800 Devon & Torbay Music Education Hubs bursary towards the cost of Certificate for Music Educators: Early Childhood (CME:EC) 23 Sept to July 24 course
How to apply:
If you are interested in applying, please submit the attached expression of interest to email@example.com by Friday 9 June at midday. Short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview (up to an hour) on Tuesday 20 June 2023 and asked to prepare a short musical activity suitable for very young children.
For an informal conversation about this role, please contact Jane Parker firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a day and time.